Skip to main content

Late 80's Rossin RLX-SOLD

UPDATE: Ive been working on this a little lately for the third build. Found a Rossin lugged fork from Romania from a Ghibli. Not the same model, but reasonably sure they the forks of their top two bikes in the lineup would likely have been the same. I stripped and repainted it to look decent with the paint work on the frame. The original fork paint work had the lattice style overlay which I was not able to replicate without professional help. It has a Campagnolo record headset, Chorus crankset and 3T stem, no name bars and Gran Compe aero brake levers. More pics to come when I get further. 



The second build was truly a frankenbike. I've used every bit I could find in the parts bin, but decided to buy a used Mercian steel threadless fork, since the previous carbon steerer tube was too short for me to be confident about its safety. The fork is freshly painted with an awful fake "hammered metal" paint from the Ebay seller I assume. It has a nice cast fork crown though and came with a headset that might come in handy one day. So a good deal nonetheless. One day I'll sand it down and paint it white to match. Totally random build and my sensibilities will be brought to task on how long I can stand it. its equipped with Selle Italia Gel carbon saddle, ITM racing four stem, Cane Creek forty headset, flop and chop Coda bull horn bars, no-name brakes and a carbon Campagnolo Record crankset, from the ReCyclery. The White Panaracer Pasela 28c tires were on the Wheelsmith/Sturmey Archer wheelset thats on the Bianchi Axis and barely clear the downtube. Whew! Rides nicely though, so thats a plus. 



This first single speed build was cobbled together with parts from the Benotto and a few new additions. The setup is what I call a "cafe racer" style. Love the look of a cafe racer motorcycle, which inspired this incarnation. Currently outfitted with  Brooks B17 Narrow saddle, carbon fork, Cane Creek Forty headset, an Origin8 wheelset, Campagnolo Athena brakes, a Sugino crank and a 3T Zepp stem. The Velo Orange Milan bars are flipped to give a more sporty feel. I like the shape of them about as much as the Postino bar that is on the Bianchi Axis right now. The slight rise works well in the inverted position and the Zepp stem is slammed because the steerer tube was short. I like the look and it rides sporty. 



Found a great deal on a late 1980's, 58cm, Rossin RLX frame, we'll call it a 1988. Campagnolo rear dropouts with nice investment cast lugs, a fancy fastback pantographed bottom bracket and internally routed rear brake cable through the top tube. Mistakenly advertised as a Ghibli, but didn't have the fluted Gilco or Tange tubing that was a signature of that model. Columbus SLX frame with a great classic Italian paint scheme. Which is the main reason I was attracted to it. For the price, the paint condition didn't bother me too much. But a few chips and scratches are worth the effort. It doesn't have any dents or dings, so it'll be a project to restore. I touched it up with a little enamel just to stabilize the situation and gave it a good rub down with Gibbs Oil. Looks decent from 5ft. The Gibbs really does work wonders. It doesn't have a fork, but I'll pick up a replacement on Ebay, there seem to be a few Rossin panto forks available. In the meantime, some parts bin randomness will ensue. 








This is the closest catalogue cut I could find, from 1988. The small inset has a paint scheme very similar. The only other markings than the size and tube style stamp on the bottom bracket is a TSD 235 stamped into the left rear dropout. Which, I assume, is a reference to Ten Speed Drive Imports. 






Popular posts from this blog

1990 Basso Loto

UPDATE: Already switched up a few things. Swapped the threadless stem with black Cinelli bars, 1R stem and seatpost. Keeps the black and white theme going well I think. Much more comfortable with a little height on the bars.  Score! I finally found a Basso Fior di Loto. I've been searching for this color variant and model for a while now and this one popped up on Ebay from Brownsville Texas. Super excited to build this up with the Campagnolo parts from the Pegoretti upgrade that's in the works.  From what I have gathered so far, this frame is most likely from  1990. Its a  55cm  Columbus SLX steel frame and fork,  Basso Fior di Loto model in the Caribe colorway. It has a few fandom stickers on it that removed fairly easily and with a little elbow grease. The paint polished up nicely afterward and there are only a few nicks and scratches.  This 1990 Catalogue cut shows the color variants available for this model. I've always been at

1989 Pinarello Treviso

I was able to find a new frame update for my collection, this installment is a 1989 Pinarello Treviso, Cobalto Smoke, 56cm frame. It was in decent shape when I purchased it locally off a bike forum member in SC. It has some ugly stickers on the top tube (subsequently removed) and a paint scheme that can only be described as.... classic 80's italian. An odd "smoked" blue, thusly named Cobalto Smoke, from the catalog. Here are some pics from the forum post. The paint was pretty dull and very fragile.  One of the first tasks completed was to remove the unwanted stickers and try to rehab the paint. I tested a few paint options, using thinned testors model paint, and found a near match for the base blue. My brush technique wasn't great but it worked well for small scratch marks. Added a duple-color clear coat after a thorough polishing. Turned out well and should be better protected. Next up was to replace the decals, which were long gone, but g

1987 Pinarello Veneto-SOLD

UPDATE: I sold the frame fork and headset to a guy in Nashville, Tn. Kept everything else for the next frame. Not sure what that will be...maybe a Basso. A few parts went toward the Treviso. You can read that post to see how that build turned out.  I was able to mark another classic italian bike off the wish list this past weekend. This "Record Blue" 1987 Pinarello Veneto. The bike is 56cm and is equipped with: Columbus Aelle tubing, 3TTT Bars and Stem, Ofmega Headset and Cranks, Campagnolo shifters, NR front, Victory rear derailleurs and Modolo American brakes. I found a set of Mavic MA2 wheels with a campy front hub and a shimano rear 7 speed. Finally a bike where the old blue Michelin Kromium tires actually look decent. Its not exactly the model I was searching for but still rare enough to make an effort. I'll continue the search for a Montello SLX. Until that time, its not the lightest of my collection, its not in the best shape, but its still a joy to ride.