Skip to main content

1992 Masi Team 3V

UPDATE: I hadnt changed anything on the Masi in quite a while. but it just wasnt comfortable on a ride. It would seem that the bar height with the quill stem just couldnt be adjusted correctly. So, I dusted off the VO chrome threadless stem and installed it. While I havent gone on a long ride yet, the slight change in angle seems way more comfortable. 




UPDATE: V8.0: This bike continues to bear the wrath of my constant tinkering and has seen more change than any other. Its been a while since I've photographed the current state of this frame. Added a few new parts, changed some others in between, but here is how it stands today. 

Masi Team 3v 56cm Columbus Nivachrome frame with serial number M56 2045
Campagnolo Centaur 10 speed groupset
Brooks Professional Saddle (with the large hammered copper rivets)
3T Handlebars
3T Quill Stem
Elite Ciussi bottle cages
Stronglight Delta Headset
Campagnolo Seatpost (Chorus maybe)
Campagnolo Proton Wheelset
Continental Gran Prix 28c tires




V7.0 The last Raleigh build before I swapped the wheelset to the Serotta.


v6.0 Campy Centaur Groupset (but I've already changed the stem)
V5.0: Continental Gran Prix 28c tires
V4.0: Just swapped saddles, peddles and added a set of Veloce shifters. 

V3.0: Well, this frame has been reimagined again. A bit of back to the future action, since many of these parts started out on the 91 masi, were put on this frame, taken off this frame and again....put back on the bike. I picked up a reasonably priced set of Mavic Ksyrium SL wheels (the Proton wheelset is now on the De Rosa) and added my old 9 speed cassette to use with the Campy Synchro II shifters. I may decide to buy on old set of 9 speed Ergoshifters to make the ride a bit more modern. 



V2.0: Changed out a few parts to upgrade this to a 10 speed campagnolo setup. Moved the 3T Ergonovo bars and stem from the Colnago. 

Here's the new line up:
Chorus carbon shifters
Chorus carbon compact crankset
Record brakeset
Record titanium rear derailleur
Chorus front derailleur 
25c vittoria rubino pro slick tires
Electron/proton wheels 




V1.0 : I found a vintage brooks professional saddle and have been reconditioning the leather. Can't wait to ride it. Heavy but soon to be comfortable.

It didn't take me long. I found another Team 3V in the right size, 56cm, from a guy in Asheville who bought the Colnago wheelset from me last year, Ken. Consequently I sold the 91 3V frame on ebay and a guy in Arden NC bought it. Terri claims that all we do is just buy and sell the same few bikes and parts just back and forth between a few people. Whatever the answer, I'm happy to have it. This one dates to 1992 from the best I can tell from my research and was again built by Mondonico in Italy. Have it built up with Campagnolo Chorus drivetrain, brakes, shifters with a Cinelli stem and bars. Swapped most of the parts from the DeRosa which I rebuilt with most of the parts from the 91 Masi build and some other left overs. It does feel good to finally ride one of these in the right size. This one's not going anywhere...except on a ride.

Popular posts from this blog

1990 Basso Loto

UPDATE: Already switched up a few things. Swapped the threadless stem with black Cinelli bars, 1R stem and seatpost. Keeps the black and white theme going well I think. Much more comfortable with a little height on the bars.  Score! I finally found a Basso Fior di Loto. I've been searching for this color variant and model for a while now and this one popped up on Ebay from Brownsville Texas. Super excited to build this up with the Campagnolo parts from the Pegoretti upgrade that's in the works.  From what I have gathered so far, this frame is most likely from  1990. Its a  55cm  Columbus SLX steel frame and fork,  Basso Fior di Loto model in the Caribe colorway. It has a few fandom stickers on it that removed fairly easily and with a little elbow grease. The paint polished up nicely afterward and there are only a few nicks and scratches.  This 1990 Catalogue cut shows the color variants available for this model. I've always been at

1989 Pinarello Treviso

I was able to find a new frame update for my collection, this installment is a 1989 Pinarello Treviso, Cobalto Smoke, 56cm frame. It was in decent shape when I purchased it locally off a bike forum member in SC. It has some ugly stickers on the top tube (subsequently removed) and a paint scheme that can only be described as.... classic 80's italian. An odd "smoked" blue, thusly named Cobalto Smoke, from the catalog. Here are some pics from the forum post. The paint was pretty dull and very fragile.  One of the first tasks completed was to remove the unwanted stickers and try to rehab the paint. I tested a few paint options, using thinned testors model paint, and found a near match for the base blue. My brush technique wasn't great but it worked well for small scratch marks. Added a duple-color clear coat after a thorough polishing. Turned out well and should be better protected. Next up was to replace the decals, which were long gone, but g

1987 Pinarello Veneto-SOLD

UPDATE: I sold the frame fork and headset to a guy in Nashville, Tn. Kept everything else for the next frame. Not sure what that will be...maybe a Basso. A few parts went toward the Treviso. You can read that post to see how that build turned out.  I was able to mark another classic italian bike off the wish list this past weekend. This "Record Blue" 1987 Pinarello Veneto. The bike is 56cm and is equipped with: Columbus Aelle tubing, 3TTT Bars and Stem, Ofmega Headset and Cranks, Campagnolo shifters, NR front, Victory rear derailleurs and Modolo American brakes. I found a set of Mavic MA2 wheels with a campy front hub and a shimano rear 7 speed. Finally a bike where the old blue Michelin Kromium tires actually look decent. Its not exactly the model I was searching for but still rare enough to make an effort. I'll continue the search for a Montello SLX. Until that time, its not the lightest of my collection, its not in the best shape, but its still a joy to ride.