1988 Bianchi Axis V1.0-1.5

I found a great deal on a Celeste Bianchi from a woman in Cary, NC. Evidently her brother in law collected bikes and had recently passed away, so they were selling his bikes. I'm happy to have been counted as one of the new owners. From what I gather this is a Japanese made Bianchi from 1988, with serial number JS763901. It was difficult to piece together an exact date but through research and catalogue cuts, its the best I can decipher. The first year the Axis shows up in a catalogue is 1988. This example is Japanese and a pretty poor quality pic. 



The 56cm frame is lugged Bianchi Superset Tange crmo steel and has more mounts and eyelets that I know what to do with. Outfitted with VGC982 Canti brakes, not sure who manufactures them,and a Sakae FX crankset with a Campagnolo BB.

Evidently it had been used as a touring/commuter bike. Very awkward looking. But a BEAUTIFUL Celeste. 

Nice Campy pedals with cages and a Campy C-Record front derailleur. Lousy Huret rear derailleur. The pedals went on the Ciocc where they belong.
It has bar end shifters and Mavic G40 wheels laced to Campy Record hubs. 

Made a few changes, different stem, removed the rack and fenders, added a different seat and brake levers and new 32c tires. It didn't stay this way for long.


Popular Posts